When picking makeup products, it is never simple—then again, is anything ever simple? Choosing what makeup you want is all based on personal preference, but there’s no reason we can’t give you a little information on what you could possibly get. Foundation is a debatable makeup product; some women swear by it, while others refuse to use it. Here is a breakdown of all the different types of foundation you can consider getting.
Mousse or whipped foundation: This is one of the most popular versions of foundation. It is light and smooth, and has an easy application process. Due to the fact it’s so light, any skin type should benefit from it.
- Try: Elizabeth Arden Mousse Flawless Finish Makeup ($34) or Revlon PhotoReady Airbrush Mousse Makeup ($13.99)
Liquid foundation: Liquid foundation is also very easy to apply, but can give you an unnatural look should you use too much. It is important to remember that a little bit goes a long way! If you’re skin is oily, this probably isn’t the best match for you. Since it is liquid, it is a thicker formula.
- Try: YSL Le Teint Touche Eclat Illuminating Foundation ($55), Lancome Idole Ultra ($44) or Maybelline Mineral Power Liquid Foundation ($17.99)
Cream foundation: Cream foundation is another great light-wearing foundation. Older women with matured skin should consider cream foundation since it glides so smoothly across skin. Certain foundations will enhance lines and wrinkles, whereas cream foundation will work with them—and even diminish them some!
- Try: Illamasqua Cream Foundation ($34), Clinique City Base Compact Foundation ($25) or Cover FX Total Coverage Cream Foundation ($42)
Cream-to-powder foundation: One reason to love this concealer is the fact that it goes on creamy and dries to a matte finish. It doesn’t make your face look covered in makeup, and you won’t feel like your face is either. It is incredibly light. This foundation is perfect for women with oily skin; due to the fact it dries matte, it will take away the shine your skin may take on.
- Try: Urban Decay Surreal Skin Cream to Powder Foundation ($35) or Lancome Dual Finish Versatile Powder Makeup ($36.50)
Powder foundation: This is perfect for women who feel uncomfortable wearing foundation for the fact that it may be too “heavy” for them. It is like putting a little bit of extra blush on in the morning. The only downfall is that you will have to reapply throughout the day, so make sure you take it on the go!
- Try: Nars Powder Foundation ($45), Makeup Forever Duo Mat Powder Foundation ($34) or Sephora Collection Matifying Compact Foundation ($20)
Tinted moisturizer: While this is a moisturizer, it can also double as foundation. We wear foundation to help smooth our skin and make it all one even tone. Tinted moisturizer will do the same thing, but it is the lightest choice of foundation. This is perfect for teens who are beginning to look like mom, or women who can’t be bothered with makeup but want their skin to appear even.
- Try: Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer ($58), Smashbox Sheer Focus Tinted Moisturizer ($30) or Bobbi Brown Tinted Oil-Free Moisturizer ($40)